Thursday, November 16, 2006

Cuisine News - Young Meat

I am a predator. I seek out, capture and kill with regularity. I have no hesitation about taking another life.

For example, I often use a clever device to hook fish through the mouth, and then I draw them into my grasp, cut their heads off, and slice out their internal organs. Other times, I use a shotgun to blast harmless birds out of the sky. Again, I decapitate them and carve them apart. Occasionally, I even employ a high-powered rifle to assasinate another mammal. I have eaten chickens, rabbits and pigs which I previously raised as pets, and I have not the least amount of remorse about eating a hamburger (unless it is from a fast-food chain).

But I draw the line. A few months ago, I was eating snapping-turtle at a friend's house (tastes like chicken) when he described for me one of the shells from a turtle he recently had caught. The giant shell contained, embedded in the side, a stone arrow tip. You figure this thing had to be at least 100-120 years old. This incident was brought to mind yesterday when I was reading the Baton Rouge newspaper website. Birthday girl served 22-pound lobster. The linked story indicates that a gluttonous 28 year old woman consumed a lobster that was estimated to be 110 years old.

Again, I'm not against eating lobster (except at $40 a tail). I'm not even opposed to eating snapping turtle. But, I can't help but feeling that a creature who lived that long should just be left alone. I'm thinking about instituting a rule that I won't eat anyone who is over 40 years old.

5 comments:

Doc Bok said...

OneEar, you really are a total homo. Are you suggesting that it is better to let old meat just rot, rather than pay homage to the long life with a celebration in the form of a tasty meal?

Litzi said...

Hi OneEar,
That lets me off the hook, because I’m over 40 years old, thank God.

What happened to your plan to “lay low” for a while? Or is that a New Years’ resolution and you’re trying to make the most of the next 45 days?

OneEar said...

LBok: You really seem to be infatuated with my sexuality. Interesting.

Miss Litzi: I'm not going to eat you.

Litzi said...

Hi OneEar,
That sounds similar to what the wolf said to Little Red Riding Hood. Aha! A wolf in sheep’s clothing!

Perhaps you should watch your back when Loud But Off Key’s around.

OneEar said...

It is just a little pin prick.