Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Sports Enthusiast Shocked to Learn that North Carolina Even Had Hockey Team

I am one of those guys who knows a little bit about everything. Like a freshly fertilized field of dreams, I am a mile wide and an inch deep. In some places, I am even shallower.

So I was shocked to learn, while watching Sportscenter last night, that the North Carolina something-or-others defeated the Edmonton Oilers to win the NHL Stanley Cup last night. Shocked that a Canadian team is in the "National" Hockey League? No, I forgave that discordance at the skates of Wayne "The Great One" Gretzky.

Shocked that they are playing hockey in June? Well, yes, that is weird.

But the really stupefying surprise is that there is a hockey team in North Carolina!?! When in the froach did that happen? They showed several minutes of guys skating around holding up the big Stanley Cup cup. I will say one thing for the iNHL, they do have a cool trophy.

Anyway, my latest research project is to try to figure out the team name for this mysterious bunch. They wear red shirts with a giant swirl on the front. Swirlies? That seems like a strange name for a hockey team. But then again, who plays hockey in North Carolina in June?

No comments: