Sunday, July 30, 2006

On Tolo Gee

Coco is missing, and the time-honored tolo dance is being turned into a freak show. Coincidence?

Tolo is another name for the Sadie Hawkins dance. This is a tradition whereby, in a vast role-reversal, the women have control over who gets laid. At Mountlake Terrace High School, the tolo girls opted for everyone on the dance floor. According to news reports, they engaged in "freak dancing" which:

involves bumping, grinding, dancing back to front, bending over and more.

This, of course, brought Coco immediately to mind. Let me say at the outset that I have never supported the right of young people to bend over, and I don't want my comments to be misconstrued to the contrary. If I had my way, all teenagers would be strapped to boards.

But dancing back to front really is something to see. I have witnessed Coco dancing back to front, (by himself of course), and I cannot begin to describe the look of shocked horror on the faces of all of the other dancers.

It leads one to ask, when does an activity cease being a dance and start being a chase/flee? Amor Fati, the love of faith, exemplifies Coco's ontology and the way he finds meaning in life through dance. But must it be such a dirty faith?

No comments: