Monday, December 25, 2006

Mysterious Ways

It has been a fucked up week in Lake Woesbegone. A friend of mine who was on vacation in St. Croix with his wife died while snorkeling. Apparently he was thrown into some coral by a wave, was knocked unconscious, and drowned.

I cancelled our planned trip for my kids to see their great-grandmother so that I could attend the funeral. In the meanwhile, my dad suffered a stroke, his second in a year. After spending the last 9 months re-learning his entire vocabularly to overcome aphasia, he now has to do it all over again. Instead of having the pleasure of attending a friend's funeral, I got to spend a few days sleeping on a hospital couch, helping out my mom, and watching my dad be frustrated as hell. I then went home to bring my wife and kids to spend Christmas at a "Holiday" Inn.

They say that Rusty never piles it on deeper than you can shovel, but it still smells like shit.

Wishing that you and yours have a holiday season that doesn't blow quite this hard.

7 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi OneEar,
Whoa! It sounds like Rusty piled it on real deep for you this Holiday season. My condolences about your friend William Remington’s drowning, and your Dad suffering another stroke. Death and illness are always difficult to handle but when these things occur around Christmas they take on even more tragic proportion.

I hope your Dad recovers quickly and regains his ability to speak once again. Maybe you could help him out with some of the Churck’s more erudite vocabulary? And someday in the near future you’ll hopefully be able to alleviate the grief and sense of loss your friend’s widow is now experiencing.

Your Holiday from Hell not only smells like shit, but is indeed a malodorous pile of crap. Let’s hope the New Year is infinitely better for you.

Doc Bok said...

I am sorry my friend.

OneEar said...

Thanks to all.

Litzi said...

Hi OneEar,
How are you doing? Is your Dad home from the hospital yet? Have the OneEars’ returned home from the Holiday Inn? I’ve been holding positive thoughts for all of you during this trying period….

I wish you and your family a myriad of good things in the New Year.

colpliscol said...

Hope your Dad gets better soon. I'm leaving next week for some snorkeling in the Virgin Islands. I hope there's nothing contagious.
You may always seek the wisdom of the cheerleader in your times of need.

OneEar said...

Thanks again. Dad is recovering, we're home, life goes on.

Attila the Mom said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend and your dad's troubles.

Hope your dad has a quick recovery!

xo