Monday, March 23, 2009

Homeless Leprechauns

Yesterday, my family and I went for a hike back in the park near our house. Part of the walk involved climbing up a rock outcropping. Many of you will remember it as the place where I threw up at the last Rusty. It is also where Bunderwear lost his sunglasses 10 years ago. Anyway, it is a fairly steep climb up about 200 feet of elevation. To my 5 year old daughter and 7 year old son, it seemed so remote that at first they suspected that few other people had been up there.

However, on the hike up, they noticed signs of life - odd pieces of trash mainly. "Maybe somebody lives up here," hypothesized EarJr.

My son was the first one to reach the top of the rock, and while we were still climbing up, he peered over the edge and shouted to my daughter excitedly, "Someone does live up here! Come look!" We scrambled up and sure enough, under a rock shelf there was some newspaper and signs of a fire.

My daughter carefully surveyed the clues and then pronounced, "Well, it is either leprechauns or homeless people."

"How can you tell," I wondered aloud.

"Homeless people don't have a home, and leprechauns always create mischief," she explained.

Hard to argue with that logic.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is great. and she has not even met docbok, yet knows he exists

litzi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doc Bok said...

Is it really 500 feet up to my perch? I didn't realize it was that tall.

Doc Bok said...

And about the trash: there is a Puerto Rican family of 53 that has been muscling in on me; the trash is theirs, not mine.

Anonymous said...

Just to clear re the EYEglass (not mere sunglasses, but eyeglasses necessary to walk, drink beer, read signs) incident, the clown squad did a really good imitation of someone doing a half-hearted and cursory (at best) search for the glasses. Only with dogged determination did I, alone, find my glasses (scratched lens and bent frame) that allowed me to get off the mountain top.

litzi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doc Bok said...

Litzi, we kept moving them, but that fucker kept getting closer and closer. Finally, we got bored and gave up. So he "found" them.

litzi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doc Bok said...

We tried as hard as we could to plant them under his feet so he would have no one to blame but himself. God knows we tried.