Thursday, June 28, 2007

Awkward Paws

I've become accustomed to the fact that nobody likes to correspond with me for very long. Not long into a dialogue, there is often an awkward pause which typically seems to occur after I have taken my turn. Then, watches will be examined, pens will be placed back into pockets, papers will be stacked and placed into portfolios, and hasty retreats will be beaten. I find this strange for two reasons: 1) I would think that I'd be no less interesting to communicate with than anyone else. In fact, I find myself very intriguing. 2) You might think I would be a better communicationist, particularly since my livelihood involves communicating (or attempting to communicate) with people. Some might think my propensity for alienation would be debilitating. However, it is hard to argue with successfulness.

Opponent: "So, for reasons x, y, and especially z, your client is not entitled to your unrealistic, unwarranted, and frankly ridiculous demands."

Me: " I really enjoy discussing this with you. But, I'm feeling that this would work much better by moonlight."

Opponent: "Er, to reiterate, we are awaiting a more reasonable counteroffer."

Me: "They say the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Some time ago, we got a baby goat named "Azalea" as a companion for our first goat, but then I accidentally killed the baby while vaccinating it. You might say I loved it to death, only my love was incompetent."

Opponent: "What does this have to do with anything. Please focus on the negotiations."

Me: "I cherish these moments together. Do you think our families would enjoy meeting?"

Opponent: "What? No!"

Me: "Azalea is buried in the back yard next to my dog Zeke. My neighbor still reminds me about this. It is near the property line."

Opponent: "Where should we send the check?"

Disclaimer: The above is not literally true, except for the part about me winning negotiations and accidentally killing our baby goat and burying it in the yard next to my dog Zeke. And the part about my neighbor. And the part about alienation.

1 comment:

Litzi said...

Hi OneEar,
Your “awkward paws” is what makes you unique and interesting to converse with; there aren’t any other one eared sheep that have got opinions and notions on almost any topic that arise. Don’t feel alienated from the hoi polloi; you’re grazing in a different pasture from the herd and should glorify in your unequaled stature.

Where would the First Unichurck be without you? Never mind where it is at the present time; it can only ascend into greatness in the future. Rejoice in your preeminence over others!! Halleluiah…