Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bar Up Above Update

We obtained our alcohol licenses last night, so the bar is a go. The bar Up Above will open for business in the very near future - probably this afternoon. We must open a few times before the end of June in order to preserve the legal nonconforming status of the building and the business.

The building is located entirely within the highway setback, it is zoned wrong for a bar, it is falling down, and it is a dump. I call this the "quadruple negative." As everyone knows, a double negative is a positive, so I figure that a quadruple negative cannot fail.

However, to be safe, I'm going into business with a 23 year old kid who has no business experience. I figure he hasn't been corrupted by corporate culture. Plus, he is a giant.

Coco, can you develop a logo for us?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will work on a theme song involving, as you may guess, a series of one note solos.

Jim - congrats - it really sounds like you thought this through!

litzi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
litzi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doc Bok said...

it's funny you opened a bar. I just opened one, too, and I can't come up with a name/logo, either.

Doc Bok said...

But congratulations on the launch of your new business. I think the timing is good. How much longer did you think practicing "law" for a living would work, anyway?

Seriously, though, let's get back to me: I need a name.
Cloven Hoof?
Drunken Grizzly Cave?
Wookie's Crossbow Cabinet?
KleineSchwanz?
Polska Pit-stop?
Bank of Financial Money?
Litzi's Lair?

Think, damn you people, think.

Doc Bok said...

Wookie's Nookie? Way better than "bar up above"
above what? It's under the street

litzi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doc Bok said...

Litzi,
I like all of your ideas. I am partial to the name of a bar I visited while working in London recently called "The Crooked Surgeon" in Picadilly at Leicester Square. It is not a good bar, but the signage on the outside is great. I will post a picture I took. Perhaps I can, like the founders of New England, make the American version better.

Doc Bok said...

But let's be clear:
Unlike OneEar, I have my bar in my home ("don't try this at home"?). I will not be selling my youngest child into slavery to finance the adventure, nor signing on the dotted line with an even larger, pre-pubescent Wookie to manage my books and entertain my customers.

litzi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
litzi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

OneEar - any drink specials this weekend?

have a great memorial day everyone